Friday, September 25, 2009

Who is telling the truth? How are we to determine this?

So in class this week we took a moment to change the perspective from what it has been since the begining of the sememster. Instead of continuing with the information on how bad it is and is getting as well as all the "bad things" to come if we continue on our current pace, it was asked is all this talk for real? How are we to know?
Personally I am not to sure if I believe all that we have been exposed to in the class. I do feel that the need to conserve and protect our resources and environment. But I do feel that some of the warnings are a bit much. Will oil ever run dry? Yes I am sure at some point, however I really don't feel I will see it in my life time. I feel this way because I believe that if we have meet peak oil in many places and are within a few years of peak oil in other places a larger scale sense of urgency would exists world wide not just in some pockets of the US.
I think our nation has all the resources to come up with an alternative fuel source but, we are holding back. Why? Well $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ may have something to do with it. Oil is the"cash crop" of the new world. I feel the extraction, production of both oil and new alternate technologies is such a money maker that they are being exploited for profit and the negative effects are not thought of as great enough to change the way things are.
Lastly I feel this going "green" concept started with good intentions but now it is being exploited. Think about it if you have a product or service that is considered not environmentally good like gas companies, slap a "going green" label on it and people will still buy. Also its now used as a tool and ploy in politics.
I really feel its hard for the average "Joe" to determining whats for real and whats just garbage in and garbage out. Opinions and facts get intermingled as emotions run high on this subject. Many who feel strongly have trouble remaining objective, while those look to gain greatly financially also have reason to alter facts to insure there potential $$$$$$$$$.
Who knows for sure not me I guess that's part of the problem in its self.

No comments:

Post a Comment