Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Do we have to choose money over happiness?

During my years growing up, my family had always said I was destined to be a nurse. They always told my sister she was destined to be a lawyer. I have always been interested in helping people, cleanliness, and looking out for one's well-being. After high school I started to pursue nursing with out giving it a second thought. For the first college, I was going for a two year degree so the curriculum was geared towards graduating quickly. It was very hard, as most people can tell you, college isn't easy, nor a walk in the park.After not doing so well during my 3rd semester I decided to switch to another college.

I never contemplated that nursing wasn't for me, I was convinced and sure of that. I then started in a 4 year college and continued in nursing. During my second semester there I became very sick and needed surgery, I still had not contemplated that nursing wasn't for me. The surgery hindered my grades and the teachers at that college were not sympathetic with my situation so I then switched to UAlbany; which is where i am now. I love it here and the teachers are very understanding and accommodating when someone gets sick or misses school.

In between my first and second college I obtained a job at a local hospital in an ER and I learned for the first time what it might really be like to be a nurse and work the field. I became very unsure of myself and started to doubt wanting to even be a nurse. I saw how they were treated, not only by patients, but also by other staff, such as doctors. I didn't like what I was seeing. I also became worried that I would never be able to remember everything that you need to know to be a nurse. So then I told my mom I thought I wanted to be a professional babysitter. She said that it wasn't acceptable and that I needed a degree in something. I was told being a professional babysitter would be looked down upon and make no money. I know I would be the happiest person in the world if that was what I ended up doing with my life. I have babysat since I was nine years old, I am now twenty-three. I want kids of my own soon and I want to make everything better in the world by helping to raise children and look out for them while their parents are at work. Why must everything be about power and money; status and standing? Yes, I do believe that having a degree is good and coming as far as I have come, to not get a degree would be a waste. But if we as people could get a job making enough money, being as happy as we can be, then why not?

Maybe if our parents didn't instill in us that we need to have one certain profession, or are meant to be one particular thing, and let us figure it out on our own, then we would be happier people, and there wouldn't be so many student suicides because of failing school. That's one thing every student dreads, and some don't even tell their parents, they just commit suicide instead. Yes, people need to have high standards, hopes, and dreams to follow and reach for. This keeps them out of trouble and gives them goals to reach. But to change you're mind during school and learn what one really wants to be, happens to be a crime, then I don't know what else to say or do. Life is so short and happiness is very important.

Shouldn't we all have the right to be happy with what we do on a day-to-day basis?

No comments:

Post a Comment