Monday, December 7, 2009

Ishmael Extra Credit

The three quotes that I found interesting are:
1. "Among the people of your culture, which want to destroy the world? As far as I know, no one specifically wants to destroy the world. And yet you do destroy it, each of you. Each of you contributes daily to the destruction of the of the world" (Quinn, 25). This quote indicates that people are destroying the world although they don't believe that they are causing a direct impact. I don't believe that people are destroying the world on purpose, but they do have an impact even though they don't realize how.

2. "Then here is a program: you must absolutely and forever relinquish the idea that you know who and what should live and who and what should die on this planet" (Quinn, 248). Towards the end of the novel Ishmael gives the narrator tips for not destroying the world and this is one of the most important ways in which we can help protect the earth. Today people are killing one another and choosing who lives and who dies that they don't understand that their lives are endanger no matter what the cause because the planet is deteriorating at an expedite rate.

3. "Only one thing can save us. We have to increase our mastery of the world." (Quinn, 80) . This quote helps the readers to understand that the way we can save the planet is get a hold of how each other treat the world. In my opinion if we would be able to understand different ways to live without the increasing use of fossil fuels and machines that are dependent on coal and oil than we would be able to give the future generations a chance to live without struggling about the climate or global warming.

Reading the novel enhanced my understanding of how I live my own life. It showed me the destructive path that I was heading towards. By destructive path I mean not doing my part in helping the environment, such as: not recycling as much as I should have, because I sometimes get lazy and just throw my plastic bottles in the trash can, another is walking by trash that is on the ground, and not helping nature in a positive way. I now know that my life can make a difference, but that it can help influence other people's view as well. I have learned that doing something positive everyday can make a difference, and I will try to pass this knowledge on to as many people as I can

No comments:

Post a Comment