Friday, December 4, 2009

UAlbany Goes Green!

http://www.albany.edu/gogreen/

In recent years, UAlbany has made strides toward a better environment with their Go Green campaign. The University has done many things under this campaign including placing separated disposal bins all over campus to make it much easier for everyone to recycle, and switched to energy efficient hand dryers by Dyson to save energy and limit paper towel disposal. Although I believe this is a great thing, I believe a lot more could be done. Think about the impact that UAlbany as a campus can make seeing as though there are more than 12,000 students alone. Don't get me wrong, I applaud this campaign and am very proud to be a part of a university that cares about our planet. However, I believe education on our world and the crisis in which we are facing would go a long way.
In order to graduate, we are expected to take several general education courses. Now, let's be honest; most people look for the easiest way out when it comes to these courses. I believe that this class, or classes like it, should be mandatory under general education. This class has taught me so much about the environment and the crisis in which we are facing, and I now look at the world and my impact on it in almost everything I do. If everyone who goes to UAlbany takes a class about this topic, I believe we can make a huge difference in the world. Everybody is going to be effected by the climate crisis, the energy crisis, and/or all of the other crisis' that are inevitable the way we live. We have the power to change the American lifestyle through awareness and education, so why aren't we taking that opportunity?

No comments:

Post a Comment