Monday, December 7, 2009

Our Future

In class last Wednesday we spoke about how our careers are not really our choice nowadays or we usually settle for what we do not want to do with our lives. I was very interested in this conversation I feel like everyone knows that what we want in life we have to work really hard for. I feel that with our education system it really is a competition. I don’t understand why they have us take Regents exams, then take SATS and during this whole process apply for college, and continue with our studies. They expect a lot from us as students. Some people are just good at being bombarded with schoolwork are just naturally smart. Those that aren’t have to work twice as hard leaving no time for fun times. When we get to college it is a competition all over again. Getting a high grade point average to graduate with honors. My major at SUNY Albany is human biology I love biology. I feel that some of these teachers here are no good. They teach us so much work then make the tests so hard. I have to dedicate my whole life to studies even weekends. I did not enjoy my human biology experience here. I took a class at a CUNY school and it was the best professor I have ever had in my college years. He made classes interesting. Though they were three hours 4 days a week it was worthwhile. Here some teachers do not even know what they are teaching and classes always have to be curved and they are not interesting at all. They make things so hard. Those in my major have to set up for Mcats, lsats etc while they also have to do well in the classes that they are currently in. We spend most of our lives in school or working. We have to do things that make us happy. I wanted to be a dancer my mom quickly destroyed those dreams asked me how could I possibly make money dancing once I get an injury that’s it no more career. Which was true.

I came into college with the intention of being a business major I would have made it into the business school with a good gpa, I studied business in high school and had two great internships in high school. Once again my mother destroyed my dreams, “business is highly competitive, how will you get a job you should join the medical field guaranteed job once you graduate” and I followed what she said and now I am studying biology following in her footsteps and I often wonder did I make the right decision its too late to change now and I am just going to have to make the best. Once again this class was great to hear everyone’s views on things that are very important to us in life and pave our future. I agree that classes like this need to be available to not only college leveled students but lower levels as well. Children pave the future and if you teach people at a younger age it would be a change. Give people the opportunity to know what is going on around them, the different kinds of jobs available, etc. it would definitely help. After that conversation I often wished I did not listen to my mother and continued with business if I had a class like this from a younger age I probably would have followed my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment