Friday, December 11, 2009

Enron: What Went Wrong

A while back we watched a film on the Enron scandal in class. This shocked me that a corporation of that size and stature could be in so much trouble and hide it so "well". When doing a little bit more research on the subject I found that they seemed to be in over their heads years before the breakdown, and were spreading themselves to thin to make the all mighty dollar. As much profit as they were bringing in they still wanted more I think that the greed of this corporation was the ultimate cause of their downfall, the other aspect that stuck out to me was the lack of government intervention. I agree the government should not be allowed to stick it's nose in places where it's not needed but I can't help but wonder if the government had stepped in back when local government wanted to step in to regulate prices if that would have helped in the long run. This was one of the biggest bankruptcies in the history of this country and it shows that loopholes never provide stability.

No comments:

Post a Comment