Sunday, November 22, 2009

Consumers, stuff, and emotions.. what's important??

For some reason American people feel this desire, this necessitate to shop, shop, and shop some more. I have even experienced it myself. When I am feeling down, or gloomy if I walk into a mall, a store, or even a grocery store I become joyful. Knowing that I will be taking home a treasure and it will belong to me, something new and fresh, which makes this appealing. But on the other hand just knowing that I already have a double walk-in closet full of stuff, and can barely fit anything else in it, but that I’m going to try, makes me a little crazy. I don’t know what this need is for buying more and more things. I know it makes me personally feel more powerful in such a way, after a new purchase; like I have accomplished something.


From the very first video we saw in class called, “The Story of Stuff” I have been thinking of what it really means, and why people have this need to collect, buy, and keep stuff. Also I am scarred of what is going to happen when our planet is at its full capacity and can no longer hold anymore stuff. Many things we buy are used a few times and then tossed away in the garbage, never to be seen or used again. Personally, I don’t throw anything away. I give my no longer wanted items to friends or my friend’s children, and if none of those people can use them, then I simply give my stuff to the Salvation Army. That is one very good solution instead of throwing things out.

As Szasz states in, Shopping Our Way to Safety, “Everywhere one looks, Americans are buying consumer products that promise to reduce their exposure to harmful substances. There is awareness of hazard, a feeling of vulnerability, of being at risk. That feeling, however, does not lead to political action aimed at reducing the amounts or the variety of toxics present in the environment.” It leads to making more products which market if we use them we will be safe. “… in the consumer, responding to a felt need-in this case the need to be protected from harm-by buying certain goods that promise to satisfy that need.”

Where will it end? When the very last item is purchased? When our earth can hold no more items? Or when our resources run out and we can no longer make any more items?

No comments:

Post a Comment