Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Did I just drink water from the bathroom sink?



I’ve spent a lot of time learning about the idea of “saving ourselves” or even “saving myself”. There are influences from various areas that promote change in our to save ourselves as a society. We see flyers promoting “green” or advertisements on television in order to influence people’s decisions on what is a better choice. However, I believe that the issue of why people are making change needs to be considered. Many people enforce changes for selfish motives for their own benefits and others do it for the benefit for the society. For example, many people eating organic and local grown foods in order to save the animals and inflict their beliefs on making people better. These people are considered “moral” eaters. On the other hand “healthy eaters” just poorly maintain a diet for their health. The question is whether it is okay to let people title their motives any way they way. As humans, we are obligated to make a choice. Many of us believe that choices are limited to us in society, however I believe this is invalid. We can say there are rules and regulations and that we need permission to do certain things. And many of us wait for permission in order to feel less guilt about out decision.

During the course of the week, I’m attempting (key word) to go through my typical weekday without access to having a bag, purse, book bag and etc. At first, the idea sounded a little absurd and I thought that I would never be able to make it. The point is, we depend on minute things like bags more than we think. We do not realize how much dependence we hold on others when we do not have access to our own things.

I am accustomed to consuming more water bottles than most people would use. However, after reading Szasz’s articles about inverted quarantine, he proved a great point about water bottles. Water bottles are bad for the environment. Point blank. Most of us will wonder why is it so bad, and will not be very concerned about the issue. However, in order to create, develop, manufacture, ship and deliver the water bottles- much energy is expended into the process. On top of the energy expenditure, many people will choice not to recycle the water bottles, which will lead to slow yet progressive depletion. I will admit, I am guilty of consuming a large amount of water bottles and I am convinced that most of us have been brain washed with the idea that tap water is lethal. It is clear that there are regions, which provide better tap water than others. But, what should be think as citizens when we see water bottles that have labels which vary “Natural”, “Spring”, “Purified”, “Filtered”. What does it all mean? Does it make a difference if I drink Poland Spring or Fiji? Is the difference is taste really that drastic? Personally, I have not found a severe difference in various water companies. Perhaps the idea of adding chemicals and salts to the water in order to preserve a fresh taste is the reason why most bottled water seems “good for you”

I ran out of water in my water bottle the other day at the library and was unable to get more water. Over time, I started to get a little antsy and wondered if I should go to the water fountain or just use the bathroom sink to fill up my water bottle. Most people will read this statement and think “Wow, Is she serious right now?” Yes, I am serious. Clearly, I thought about it for an hour and so because I have been brought up to believe that bottled water is just better for you. After tasting the water, I realized that I could not taste or find any difference. It looked, smelled exactly like my new purchased Poland spring, which I bought in a 36 pack. This made me consider how much water industries are really trying to help the people. They make us believe that they are producing all these varieties of water, however they are all THE SAME. Fiji, Dasani, Poland Spring- it is water. If people are very concerned about the level of purity in “cheaper” water bottles- then ask for facts. I cared. I asked someone very close to me which works in a water laboratory to check the levels of salts and various elements in the water, which are not typically found in pure water. After the results were obtained between tap water and bottled water, the level of elements varied in a 0.12% difference. I am not trying to make people believe that all tap water is better than bottled water because it may not be. The results may vary between different regions because of levels of pollution, depletion and deprivation.

Overall, I am trying to show that we have a choice. We have a choice to believe what we think is right and go by what is right. Whether you use water bottles because it is most convenient or because you are petrified of the effects of tap water- find ways to stop spending so much time and money and consuming gallons and gallons of bottled water.


1 comment:

  1. This blog is absolutely hysterical!! I also have had a similar experience while living on campus in the dorms. There was absolutely no water anywhere and there were no vending machines in the bottom of our building only over in the towers. So i resorted to drinking from the bathroom sink! It actually didn't taste that different, but I was so thirsty I really didn't care. Anyways I think its interesting how people get a certain mind state that bottled water tastes and is so much better for us. Yes, some faucet water really isn't good to be drinking, in foreign countries for example a lot of resorts recommend you brush your teeth with bottled water, and don't drink from the sink. But overall in most places here in the US I don't think there is a huge difference. Mostly I think people just like the convenience of knowing they can grab a bottle of water when they're in a hurry. But thats just me. Anyways thanks for putting a smile on my face today I really enjoyed taking the time to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete